Yahiko White #2 Hammered 240

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
J david

Yahiko White #2 Hammered 240

Post by J david »

Now that my Yahiko Hairline / Mazaki is almost finished up, I thought I would offer another Sanjo style gyuto for passaround. This time, it is the Yahiko Hammered white #2 240.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yabl2hagy24.html

A little bit about this knife. I purchased it probably the first day it was offered on the site. It arrived quickly as usual and I have been using it here and there since. I enjoy the rustic, yet refined finish and the performance was to my liking. When I was getting ready to put it up for passaround, I referenced the product page and was surprised to learn that the knife I purchased as a blue steel knife was now listed as white #2. I called Mark to get some clarification. He told me that there was a lost in translation situation and the blacksmith gave him the correction. He immediately apologized and offered to give me a full refund (awesome customer service). I told him thanks for the offer, but I'm keeping this one. I really like the knife and think others will too.

I was also surprised that it was not blue steel as the edge has been holding up remarkably well for me. In fact, I have only lightly stroped on a stone a couple of times and it will be going out with what is essentially the factory edge. That being said, I'm sure it will need sharpening along its journey, so feel free if you are confident in your skills.

Let's try to limit this one to 8 participants
100 post count minimum
ship insured for $200
provide tracking number
try to move it along within 1 week
yada, yada you guys know the drill
Altadan

Re: Yahiko White #2 Hammered 240

Post by Altadan »

Yes please ^_^ (the wife is game, too :shock: )
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I might have to get in on this one, too, it looks pretty awesome. I am about to move and then go away for a week and change, so I would need to be back a few slots.

$200 for a hammered clad 240mm is a lot of knife for the price. The higher end Yahikos that have been offered for the past year or so are crazy values.
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

I would love to join..... preferably after somebody who is REALLY good at sharpening so I can see how a really well done progression is done.... I feel I have a solid setup and I can put an excellent edge but I know most of you guys have enough j-nat stones to build a house & can work circles around me
Last edited by CacahuateSommelier on Tue May 08, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

If I recall correctly, the same guy who makes this knife also makes the Yahiko Shimo. I owned the 210 and 240 Yahiko Shimos. They were originally listed as white steel, but later changed blue No. 2. Mark said that was a translation issue too! (-:

The Shimos are quite nice. The 210 in particular had an amazing tip, one of the best I've encountered. Generally both had all-round profiles adaptable to a variety of techniques. The 240 reminded me more of my Tanaka Sekiso, though not quite as good. The tip was fluent, but it could not match the performance of the 210. It sharpened up nicely and held a good edge.

I almost bought one of these hammered knives when they first showed up. Yet it looked so much like a (somewhat heavier) Koishi that I demurred.

In any case, would love to try this one out. Stainless clad, unlike the Shimo line. Seems to have a flatter blade, too, which makes me wonder if it really is the same smith. I can't think of another smith who makes some knives that are quite flat and others that have a fair belly.
Jeffry B
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

Hi. I'd like to be in if possible
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I'd like to participate. Is there a charge?
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Haha, thankfully, no. The Kuwabara you're about to get was bought brand new specifically for a passaround; you in fact have some ownership of that knife. Most passarounds, like this one, are free for participation since they're offered up from private collections. The only downside to this one is that, if you end up liking it a lot, you don't have a stake in it.
J david

Post by J david »

Anyone else? A few spots left. I will let this go for a couple more days and then we will button it up.
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

I'd love to try it, David. Thank you for your continued pass around generosity!
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Hi David,

I’ve never participated in one of these, if there’s room and I meet the criteria I’d love to join in.

Thanks. Sean
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
easilver

Post by easilver »

I'm in if there's still room
Ed in L.A.
J david

Post by J david »

List so far,

Altadan
CacahuateSommelier
Igalor
Keithmarder
Lepus
Cjmeik
Nakneker
Easilver

Looks like a nice list to me, some forum vets with some newer guys. Please PM me your adresses and we can get started next week.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Very curious about thoughts on this one. Seems like a good buy
J david

Post by J david »

Happy to throw you in Spence.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Gosh, I shouldn’t...but then again maybe I should. Screw it, I’d love to try this one. Been staring at it for a while and the first time you posted about it made me wan to try. Thank you!!! I love passarounds. It’s actually as exciting as buying a knife every time you get to open the package.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I feel like I always screw up the passarounds. I’m about the only guy from the Midwest, besides datster :lol:
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Chefspence wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:49 pm I feel like I always screw up the passarounds. I’m about the only guy from the Midwest, besides datster :lol:
I feel the same about my own corner of this country :lol:
Bud does it really make a difference, though? I end up paying about 13$ every which way I send it, be it GA, FL, MN, or CA (except for DC... that one cost me an odd 10.50 :roll: )
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Altadan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:59 pm
Chefspence wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:49 pm I feel like I always screw up the passarounds. I’m about the only guy from the Midwest, besides datster :lol:
I feel the same about my own corner of this country :lol:
Bud does it really make a difference, though? I end up paying about 13$ every which way I send it, be it GA, FL, MN, or CA (except for DC... that one cost me an odd 10.50 :roll: )
It really doesn’t. Just certain times when the knife is zigzagging cross country. I sent the Yoshi Nakiri to Ray in Hawaii and it was hardly any extra expense and only took two days to get there from SD!
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Sorry spence, I sat this one out.