need testers/feedback

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
timos

Re: need testers/feedback

Post by timos »

right on! thanks cody
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

I’ll be getting it cleaned and touched up today to go out. Tim I’ll dm you on ig with my thoughts. Overall though to everyone else on the list you should find some enjoyment with this blade. It’s different but fun.
-C-
timos

Post by timos »

Thanks cooknola.

My next few customs are off getting heat treated and the weather and timing was just right this past saturday to fire up the 2x72....this one is gonna get one of my new stock handles and will be making the rounds. You guys think i should send it out with the forced patina or go clean? This is the 15n20 steel.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
timos

Post by timos »

Ok, gonna freshen up the blade and put an edge on her tonight. This one is going out tomorrow :)
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Darn pretty blade and handle.

Did you burn in the handle? How did you do the install if you don’t mind me asking.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Darn pretty blade and handle.

Did you burn in the handle? How did you do the install if you don’t mind me asking.
timos

Post by timos »

I made a pilot hole, then drilled with a W drill, I was gonna use a dowel but I found it unnecessary. I just ground the tang to a light press fit filled with epoxy and pressed it in. I also fit a thin g10 ferrule cap before fitting and gluing it together.
I am pretty confident in the blade but I still have a bit to go with this handle set up. I made up about 30 of these handles in an hour, you can see why the Wa can be a pretty decent low cost design solution. I have a endless supply of hard rock maple so its a no brainer material choice for me. I am going to experiment with some saddle tan dye on the next couple. On the next ones I am going to use 1/16" or 1/8" thick g10 for the ferrule caps though...the .020 stuff just doesnt have the right look. It is too flexible. Id also prefer to use some sort of wax instead of epoxy so the handle is easy to remove. Of course then it also seem to work itself out sometimes.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Thanks for responding. Looks awesome! I will take my follow up questions off line so I don’t hijack your thread.
timos

Post by timos »

no worries ben, i dont mind explaining my process and discussing the details. Ive paid special attention to every part of this process so I could dial it in and have something to offer in this price range. Ultimately I want to make tools to be used that are as much bang for the buck as anything else. the funny thing about this knife is the abrasives cost is the most expensive part. $50 bucks in ceramic belts to grind this sucker the way i do. Definitely some room for improvement there :)

Ive also been contemplating my place in this sort of craft industry, and that intellectual thread in the general really got me thinking. So this knife here, what is it? My interpretation of a Japanese knife that was an interpretation of a French knife? and there is more to it...the handle shape that i have heard was made for foreign markets...the blade steel that is reclaimed swedish bandsaw steel. Probably the only thing i can call my own is "how" i do it. In the end, I have taken the time to listen to many members here about what makes a good knife and this is what I have come up with. So what is it then? I dont know, I just hope it works real good.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
slobound

Post by slobound »

timos wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 am Ok, gonna freshen up the blade and put an edge on her tonight. This one is going out tomorrow :)
Loving this one with the forced patina!
-- Garrick
timos

Post by timos »

I spent some time sharpening this last night. The blade averaged right at RC 63.5 and It certainly seemed so on the stones. I am very happy with it :)
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

It looks great
easilver

Post by easilver »

Tim--if you have room, I'd love to try it.
Ed in L.A.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

wow my feed back is the forced patina looks great!
timos

Post by timos »

Hi all, the 250mm prep monster has officially set sail. I will be in touch via PM in regards to addresses. Thanks again.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I hope I made the list
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

timos wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:06 am thanks guys, you can all try it eventually I just needed to put some miles on her quickly..it is a unique profile , i wanted to offer something a little different, there is so many great classic eastern and western profiles. This is my personal blend :)
I like having a little belly, it allows me to cut just what i want to with proteins and stuff without messing up the point. There is also a generous flat spot for mincing, which is another thing I do a ton of....This is my blade of choice for making dinner quick in my 4 sq. ft of coutnerspace and 1 sq. ft cutting board :) In the end this profile and size knife is more geared towards the home user. It is my answer to my relatives asking me for a knife...its gotta be smaller, stronger, and stainless and still be eons past the globals and henckels they already own.

But that little guy is Nitro-V steel, not the 15n20 I was talking about before....sorry if I confused the thread. I will have the big 250mm 15n20 blade headed out pretty soon too.
This is the second time I've recently heard of Nitro-V steel. Can you provide any more information on how this steel compares to others? I guess the problem is that I'm really new still and have been enlightened recently by the white/blue/super thread on the forum, but know little about all the steels with numbers and letter codes. Does anyone know if there is a preexisting thread that discusses these non-Japanese steel types?
timos

Post by timos »

Hi Drewski, You can learn a lot from checking out the vendors of these steels. Z-Knives also has a very comprehensive database. http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelchart.php

These are the guys that supply the domestic knifemaker market and many of the big MFGs as well. There are more of course but these are the 3 I personally use the most.
Nitro V is sold by New Jersey Steel Baron. A guy named Aldo Bruno runs the place. I had the opportunity to meet him about a month ago. He is a guy with a true passion for knives and steel.
newjerseysteelbaron.com
alphaknifesupply.com
http://sb-specialty-metals.com/
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

timos wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 am Hi Drewski, You can learn a lot from checking out the vendors of these steels. Z-Knives also has a very comprehensive database. http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelchart.php
Wow, talk about getting more than you bargained for! :lol: But I can see there really wasn't another option to answer my question completely. At first I was lost scrolling through thousands of steel types before seeing the search function :roll: Thanks a lot! Gonna come in handy for sure.
timos

Post by timos »

Nitro V is alot like AEBL, just maybe a bit more wear resistance (higher attainable RC hardness) and AEBL is considered a stainless version of a simple high carbon steel like 1084 and 1095 and 1095 is considered to be pretty similar to white #1...and so on...you get the idea.
I have more or less stopped comparing Japanese steels to domestic or European sources. In my experience, the steels that are used in knives today are all very high quality. I just group them and compare by similar compositions. Time is best spent reading something like knifesteelnerds.com and start learning about the different elements, and their effects, imo.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki