Yahiko Nashiji 240 passaround

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
jbart65

Yahiko Nashiji 240 passaround

Post by jbart65 »

This one is a freebie.

I will open for eight participants initially. It is one of my favorite knives and I don't want to be without it for all that long.

This Yahiko is one of the flatter knives on the site, but it's a bit more versatile than it looks. I can even "slide-rock" adequately enough on fresh herbs. Obviously it's a good chopper and push cutter.

This knife is not the sharpest, the thinnest or the flashiest. It's just a damn good knife in my opinion. Got classy good looks and just feels very comfortable to me in the hand. A smooth cutter.

Rules:

500 posts. If you are board regular with less than that, feel free to PM me if spots are still open.

First dibs to anyone whose knives I've used in a passaround if they respond in 48 hours.

Treat the knife as your own. Sharpen on high grit stones preferably, but grade A sharpeners can go further if needed.

Five to seven days per person.

Post here when you ship the knife out and alert the recipient.

PM me if there are any problems or damage to the knife.

Insurance is $200.

JB
Jeffry B
jbart65

Re: Yahiko Nashiji 240 passaround

Post by jbart65 »

I am surprised no one other than Gastro gnome has jumped in so far. Perhaps I undersold the knife!

While the Yahiko is not the sharpest knife in my draw, it’s extremely sharp. While it’s not the thinnest, it’s quite thin at the edge. And while it’s not the flashiest, it’s got better looks than most of its CKTG competitors.

Don’t take it from me. in a longer post SteveG says: “In short - THESE THINGS ROCK!!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1256&p=11050&hilit= ... iji#p11050

And Mark himself said this the other day:

“When they’re gone everyone will want one and I won’t be able to get them very easily.”

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4853&p=39627&hilit=yahiko#p39627

A few words on the Yahiko knives. CKTG now carries six different versions. Four different smiths are involved - and perhaps five.

The first to arrive were the Yahiko Shimo B#2 and the Yahiko VG10.

The Yahiko Shimo is made by a guy new to CKTG who makes sickels and such.

The VG10 is made by a different smith. The same smith might also make the Yahiko R2, but it’s not confirmed.

The Yahiko Nashiji and Yahiko Kurouchi are both made by the same shop and that shop is reputed to be Yoshikane, maker of the famed Yoshikane SLD if I recall correctly.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh2nagy24.html

The latest Yahiko is the Hairline. It’s made by younger smith who used to work under Yoshikane before starting off on his own.

The iron-clad Yahiko hairline on passaround, in other words, is different than the Yahiko Nashiji I own. Mine is stainless clad, lighter, shorter and has a more elaborate finish.

Any questions let me know. This is one of the undiscovered treasures on CKTG.
Jeffry B
J david

Post by J david »

Well, you know I'm down to try it. I was trying to be polite and let some others go.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

J david wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 am Well, you know I'm down to try it. I was trying to be polite and let some others go.
I am old school, JD. First come first serve. I want people who are the most interested and respond promptly regardless of how many passarounds they've done.

I am all for spreading the love, but frankly, it's the board vets who do the best job of helping newbies because they've experienced enough knives to best address a customer's potential needs.
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I was just dilly-dallying about sending a PM, what with being short of the 500 post mark.
I would VERY much like to try it out, since the Yahiko Nashiji was one of the final two, with the Tanaka B#2 that I ended up buying (and being very pleased with).

If there's room, I'd be happy to try it, and write up about it later
Dan
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
J david

Post by J david »

Well then sign me up!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

You are in, Dan. I would have shot you a pm if you hadn't responded.

So far:

J David
Gastro gnome
Altadan
Easilver
Cutuu
Spence
Last edited by jbart65 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 am You are in, Dan. I would have shot you a pm if you hadn't responded.

So far:
J David
Gastro gnome
Altadan
Thanks, Jeff. Glad to be in.
I'm looking forward to it ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
easilver

Post by easilver »

Yes, please! I'm in
Ed in L.A.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Id like in
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Would love to try.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

I've got this knife and really like it, especially the geometry (flat), the tip (thin enough that I can mangle it if I'm not careful), the looks (nashiji plus frosted blade road), and, surprisingly, the handle (grippy, textured). Edge retention has been phenomenal, surpassing, I think, my blue 2 nakiri. I don't know what the smith did, but he did it well.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I can't explain why, but this is one of my favorite knives. Justs feels very comfortable to me to use.

This will go out on Tuesday to the six listed participants unless we get another joiner or two. I'd love for Gladius or Lepus or another board regular to join in.

I have shipping info in my preferred format for printing for all except Gastro Gnome. Mike, send me the following:

CKTG user name
Real name
Address (email optional)
Sharpening level: (A+,A, B, C)

I do wonder if some potential buyers - and passaround participants - are put off by the height. Mine is a little over 49 mm at the very heel, above the 48 mm list. It does not feel short to me in use.

My two preferred knives lately are my Tanaka Sekiso at 54 mm and the Yahiko at 49. I don't notice the height very much when switching between the two as much as I do the profiles. The Tanaka is more gradually rounded and is my best Japanese rocker. The Yahiko is flattest in the back and best suited for chopping, pushing and "slide rocking."
Jeffry B
J david

Post by J david »

Looking forward to it.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I didn't want to crowd out the list, but I would be worse for not taking the opportunity. I would love to try it.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

UPDATE

Excellent, Rob. Glad you will give it a try. This knife is not for everyone, but it deserves to be better known.

I touched this knife up last night and hit handle with tung. Original finish needed a helping hand. Knife could be a bit slippery for the first user, so take note.

Shipping today.

Per our recent discussion on sharpening ... I list grades only to get a sense of how to space out a passaround in case a knife needs to be sharpened. The white steel on the Yahiko has pretty good edge retention, but it's still white steel.

The grades are also what I call grades based on sharpening 101, not master class! (-:
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Knife went out the door yesterday. I forgot to put the mailing list in the box, so I folded and slipped the list into the bottom of the box where the cardboard folded over. Might need a pair of tweezers to pull it out, Rob.
Jeffry B
Organized

Post by Organized »

Has anyone compared this knife to mazaki knives? They look like they’re the same knife.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Two very different knives based on the specs and the Yahiko is supposedly from Yoshikane or one of is derivatives.

The Mazakis are taller (53mm), heavier (almost 8 oz) and carbon clad. Yahikos run around 49mm, less than 7 oz and are stainless clad.
Jeffry B
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I have the knife. This thing is serious business.