New Pass Around

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Bob Z

New Pass Around

Post by Bob Z »

Im itching to try something new and might like to do something with Jbarts previous rules. Over 125 posts required at min.

I am a home chef and 210 and under along with bunka or nakiri open to discussion or something similar. Not that interested in pure carbon or non clad knives. Price limit would be 250 but negotiable

What would you like to try?
MagneticStorm

Re: New Pass Around

Post by MagneticStorm »

Hi Bob Z,
I am new to the forum, but I would love the opportunity to try out different types of kitchen knives. I could give a very descriptive review from the perspective of someone who is not a professional knife handler. I would be happy to receive a knife, use it for 2 days without sharpening, record some videos of what a regular home cook might experience and expect when purchasing that specific knife, and add that review to the forum to help buyers that are new to this world/site.

I found chefknivestogo while reading through the comments section on a shun knife for sale on slickdeals. As soon as I discovered the site and forum I knew that I would purchase my knife from Mark. But this forum can be quite overwhelming for someone new to the Japanese knife culture. Reading through as many articles I can over the last week, I was nervous to post a request for a knife recommendation and decided to email Mark and just get his opinion and decide based on that. Mark's incredible customer service has guaranteed him my future loyalty.

Maybe you get these requests from new members all the time, but I would greatly appreciate your consideration.

Thank you,

Josh
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Welcome to the forum Josh.

While i appreciate your enthusiasm I have a minimum post limit for a good reason. Since most of the pass arounds are initiated by members its their knife that gets around, not Marks. Would you want to send your new $250 knife to a stranger and hope for the best?

Enjoy the forum! There is something here for just about everyone. Ask questions, comment on things and let us get to know you.
MagneticStorm

Post by MagneticStorm »

Fair enough. Thank you for taking the time to respond and for taking my request seriously.
francois.du.nord

Post by francois.du.nord »

I too would love to participate but understand the logic behind your restrictions.

I'll just be voyeur and read the reviews. Best, Fran
enjay

Post by enjay »

Hi Bob, I'll throw my hat in this ring.

Always been curious about the Goko line, an old staple 'round this block. What say you about the 170mm bunka?

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokobunka.html

Or this 210mm long petty/short suji?

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gowh1pe21.html
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

This one might have to go on the backburner for a bit since the funds for now just went to japan for a new wantanabe.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Bob - while this is on hold for a while can you elaborate what you mean when you say;

"might like to do something with Jbarts previous rules"

Are the rules only total post count or is there something else to the Jbart rules?
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Besides minimum posts rest of rules would be:

Each person pay a certain amount depending on value of knife and amount of participants (5-7). This maybe 7-10$ or so
Try out the knife for up to 7 days, then ship to next person including insurance (states only)
No full progression or sharpening practice, but touch ups if you are competent.
Last person ships back to me.
Possibility exists for knife to be auctioned off to one of the participants at my discretion after all i may want to keep it.
You damage it or lose it and you repair or buy it.

Something along these lines...
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bob Z wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:21 pm ...Possibility exists for knife to be auctioned off to one of the participants at my discretion after all i may want to keep it...
This is the main part of the "jbart" pass around. If there are interested parties it IS to be auctioned off, not at your discretion, otherwise you are just charging people to use your knife. You have to compete with those parties interested. The starting price is usually retail price paid -fees collected from participants. If nobody wants it then you keep it.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I guess we get to make our own rules for our pass arounds.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Bob Z wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:04 pm I guess we get to make our own rules for our pass arounds.
Not really.
You need to make it fair for all concerned not just yourself.
If you want to make it any other way than a free pass around you will need to clear it with us first.
Obviously the forum is not here for members to make money by sharing or renting out knives.
Thank you for your understanding.