New Jikko Honyaki Gyuto

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
joanjet

New Jikko Honyaki Gyuto

Post by joanjet »

Oh my lord is this pretty

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/jiwh3mihogy2.html

How does Jikko-san get such consistently beautiful hamon lines onto his blades? Unbelievable.

This is also a really good price, compared to other places I've seen his knives.
Last edited by joanjet on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joanjet

Re: New Jikko Honyaki Gyuto

Post by joanjet »

Some other examples of hamon lines on Jikko knives

Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

Are you sure there's a Jikko-san? I think thats the name of a wholesaler/retail store. I imagine these were forged by Shiraki or Genkai
gladius

Post by gladius »

Corradobrit wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:06 pm Are you sure there's a Jikko-san? I think thats the name of a wholesaler/retail store. I imagine these were forged by Shiraki or Genkai
—-
The product page references Jikko-San as the sharpener.

162876DC-D1A7-4225-8D03-C00A1DC2D497.jpeg
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

gladius wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:59 pm The product page references Jikko-San as the sharpener.
I could have sworn that Jikko-san not only sharpened but also heat treated, creating these beautiful patterns.

After a bit more research, it's possible that Corrado is right and these are forged by somebody else.
Last edited by joanjet on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

Corradobrit wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:06 pm Are you sure there's a Jikko-san? I think thats the name of a wholesaler/retail store. I imagine these were forged by Shiraki or Genkai
Had always thought that he at least did sharpening/heat treating but apparently upon further research he is mostly a sharpener?

I suppose that could make sense, as Shiraki is based in Sakai, where Jikko-san is based.

Genkai referring to Genkai Masakuni? I had never looked into where he is from but it seems he is described as from Sakai-Osaka, which border one another.

I didn't know that Genkai worked under any other moniker, considering how expensive his blades are normally.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

You are correct about the Jikko name. It is the brand, like Konosuke. They have been around for over 100 years.
This is a custom with all Sakai brands. They use a variety of smiths, sharpeners, polishers and handle makers depending on the line they are creating.
But I do not believe the new ones are forged by either of those smiths.
Shiraki has been retired for a couple of years and Genkai is also not making many blades.
Those items could be old stock or something. Shiraki is also now a brand and anything with his name refers to Shiraki Hamono.

I don't think the Jikko brand name is related to a smith or sharpener unless by coincidence.

Genkai Masakuni works under a few banners including most famously, Fudo Kunayuki. Konosuke have sold some knives by him as have several other brands.

I cannot guarantee all of this but i'm pretty sure of its veracity.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

mauichef wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:32 pm ...Shiraki has been retired for a couple of years and Genkai is also not making many blades...
I have read this posted about Shiraki by many on forums but have never read it anywhere outside of a forum. I don't recall exactly where I saw it but last year read that he only managed the shop most of 2017 because of back problems. Though it was rumored, he never officially retired and went back to work forging in January of 2018. Have not found anything about an official retirement since then other than forum talk. I need to see if I can find that information again. :? This is not to suggest that most knives that still bare his name are not forged by apprentices though. And he may not be forging much but I'm not yet convinced that he is fully retired either.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.