Calling Ken Schwartz: How ya likin' your Anryu honesuki?

Robstreperous

Calling Ken Schwartz: How ya likin' your Anryu honesuki?

Post by Robstreperous »

Hey Ken,

Wondering how you're liking you're Anryu honesuki now that you've had it a while? Per this post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13193&p=95016&hili ... uki#p95016

Pretty much on your and Mark's advice I went and picked one up myself. Hasn't arrived yet but I'm wondering if we can compare notes.

My Richmond honesuki is among my most frequently used (non gyuto) knives.

Pretty interested to see what's different. Trembling with anxieity about using white steel that close to bone. Curious what sharpening tricks I might pick up from you?
ken123

Re: Calling Ken Schwartz: How ya likin' your Anryu honesuki?

Post by ken123 »

Well it isnt the flat back shape like a Tojiro honesuki, but ratheradouble bevel knife. Not a flaw - just an observation.

I found the finish easy to scratch when sharpening , using a wide variety of natural and synthetic stones. I ultimately switched to using diamond bars up to 2 microns (8k).

It has held its edge well after the 8k buffing and I'm pleased I bought it. Not a lot of heavy use yet.

---
Ken
Robstreperous

Re: Calling Ken Schwartz: How ya likin' your Anryu honesuki?

Post by Robstreperous »

Thanks mine arrived today. Just unboxed it a couple of minutes ago. The bevel caught me by surprise too.

I'll probably give it a light buff on nano cloth tomorow and givei ta test drive.