Shibata Kotetsu Bunka

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Shibata Kotetsu Bunka

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

This is a long one so I think it should be posted here. This is the knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkocubu17.html

Beyond all expectations. It has been difficult to wait a month before submitting my review of what may very well be the final word in knives for the home cook. During the past month of lunches and dinners for my wife and myself I have exclusively used this knife for every prep task from hulling strawberries to deboning whole chicken carcasses. The clever shape of this knife allows it to fill the role of several knives: pairing, nakiri, and, of course, chef knife. The other-wordly sharpness of this knife (more on this later) combined with it's thin nimble tip allow you to easily and confidently pair food you might otherwise feel uncomfortable with while using a 175mm long blade but is still sturdy enough to de-bone a chicken carcass without getting dinged up. The flat area just ahead of the heel, about 3 inches on my example, prior to the belly is sufficient for push cutting / chopping of small vegetables and herbs. The gently sweeping belly allows for effortless pull / draw cutting thru all types of fine boned / boneless proteins while maintaining a fairly neutral wrist position and with minimal effort. Now that doesn't mean that this knife will do literally anything. Obviously if you want to break down a hard acorn squash or chop up a whole roasted chicken this wouldn't be the right knife for that task, but a $40 Dexter cleaver would be more than up to the task. OOTB sharpness is other-wordly. The combination of the incredible thinness, hardness, and grind make this knife TRULY laser sharp -- Hatori Hazno will cut anything you put in front of it, even if that be the Lord God or Buddha himself, SHARP. In fact this knife is so incredibly sharp it will expose all the lazy habits you might have developed from using other inferior products. Used to being a bit lazy and letting the blade slide over the nail of your index finger instead of the first knuckle while push cutting herbs because some days you just can't be bothered to use proper technique? Stock up on band-aids. (From experience) Throughout the month of daily use the blade has required nothing more than a weekly stropping on leather (with green compound) to retain it's OOTB laser sharpness.

Fit & Finish are top notch with an attention to detail equal to that of knives at double the price point. The octagonal custom ebony handle with water buffalo horn ferrule, installed by CKTG, was absolutely perfect for this knife as it is slightly denser than the factory maple handle moving the balance point of the knife back from slightly ahead of the pinch grip to directly under it. This gives the custom knife perfect balance with slightly more heft in the hand. Finally, and in my opinion, even more importantly than all the amazing attributes of this knife is the fact that the bladesmith is still rather young (relatively speaking to other Japanese blacksmiths). Meaning, unlike many other blade smiths who are nearing, or honestly well past, retirement age in many this blade smiths has many years ahead of him in the trade to provide us with repair or sharpening services in the future should the knife ever become damaged - they are after all quite thin and hard. These services can be accessed via his full English website. All these factors, in my opinion, make the Shibata Kotetsu Custom Bunka the absolute best buy knife for the home cook and worthy of being a knife that can become a treasured family heirloom.

Brian Young
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
GopherBroke

Re: Shibata Kotetsu Bunka

Post by GopherBroke »

I absolutely love mine (Thanks George!!!)
snipes

Post by snipes »

Now I feel like I need one of these....again.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Ok ok I'll buy one. :)
GopherBroke

Post by GopherBroke »

I own the 240 and the bunka Spence, and bith are great performers. Both are true lasers.. just fyi.

Still haven't tried the 210, but would love too.... and the 150 petty!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I tried a 210 Takeda bunka and I wasn't sure the shape was for me. Perhaps I have to give a smaller bunka a go. Only holdback is, I haven't found any knife under 5 oz I really love except for a Kon0 240 laser (got a W#2)

Then again, isn''tt Shibata taking at crack at the KS? !!!
Jeffry B
GopherBroke

Post by GopherBroke »

Mine might be for sale..
Anyone want it? :-(
gladius

Post by gladius »

Price?
GopherBroke

Post by GopherBroke »

Thinking $180.
I'll take pics and on you.
It is used.. and appears that someone took scotchbrite or 400 grit to the blade face. It's not bad, but its not like new.
gladius

Post by gladius »

You should post it in the classifieds.
GopherBroke

Post by GopherBroke »

gladius wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:13 am You should post it in the classifieds.
I was actually still on the fence whether it was going or not. Trying to gather funds for debts and a new workshop. So it'll probably be listed. I just need to get pics taken.