Nakiri Titans Watanabe 180 AS vs Toyama 180 AS

Santas_101

Re: Nakiri Titans Watanabe 180 AS vs Toyama 180 AS

Post by Santas_101 »

So Bob, if you were going to trade that Toyama Nakiri for another knife, what knife would you be willing to trade it for? Not saying you would, but just curious what that would be?
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

One question Bob the statement in the beginning;

"The contenders here are the Watanabe 180 As stainless clad Kurouchi Nakiri and a Toyama AS stainless clad 180 Nakiri. both of these smiths trained under the same master"

I think that Watanabe trained under Toyama?

I agree with you on the handle upgrade and I purchased two of them with custom handles and saya's (that fit perfectly).
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

jacko9 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:54 pm One question Bob the statement in the beginning;

"The contenders here are the Watanabe 180 As stainless clad Kurouchi Nakiri and a Toyama AS stainless clad 180 Nakiri. both of these smiths trained under the same master"

I think that Watanabe trained under Toyama?
You may be right about that one, long time since i got into who made what and not sure where i got that from. But it seems there may have been more than one Toyama and reading other forums about this it still isnt clear who trained who. When I started looking into these two knives (and looking at the gyuto's also) I was convinced that Watanabe sold Toyama knives, but Im not so sure anymore. What got me thinking this was that I wanted a Toyama gyuto and the one that Wat had on the site looked EXACTLY like the toyama and I even asked Shinichi about it.
Santas_101 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:36 pm So Bob, if you were going to trade that Toyama Nakiri for another knife, what knife would you be willing to trade it for? Not saying you would, but just curious what that would be?
This is a tough one, but I would probably go for a wide bevel Konosuke nakiri (like PD077 got last year), or maybe a Saji rainbow damascus nakiri. A quality lightweight tall nakiri or kiri cleaver would probably be interesting also.
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

Bob,

Do you have the tinker tank from Shibata?