Knives at work

Cutuu

Re: Knives at work

Post by Cutuu »

The thread just says knives at work; u can work at home.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

It's always work for the knife.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Cutuu wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:25 pm The thread just says knives at work; u can work at home.
Okay, I'll call myself out on this one. When I read the subject line, I thought it was for knives "performing their function" as opposed to "working in the professional kitchen". My apologies if I derailed it!
-- Garrick
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

No need for apologies, keep posting pics if you have them.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Sitting at the airport and thought I'd post another one since I just sent it to Mark for a new handle. Can't wait till I get back.

I also really love this end grain board.

-- Garrick
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Gs+, it got a workout yesterday. Mirepoix, cajun trinity, and then the batch onions. Never touched a hone or strop and the edge wasnt fully fresh to start with
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

slobound wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:37 am Sitting at the airport and thought I'd post another one since I just sent it to Mark for a new handle. Can't wait till I get back.

I also really love this end grain board.

That is a sweet board!
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

Still getting the hang of using this size cleaver for the fine cut green onions but the speed is getting there after about three weeks with my new Konosuke cleaver,
the Takeda nakiri will still be my go to when I need to bust out a case on green onions really fast though
Attachments
IMAG0774.jpg
mchltylr

Post by mchltylr »

Nicely done
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Lepus wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:47 am I like where this is going.

I do like those Kiwis. I've never heard of the chocolate. It never fails to amaze me that the deeper I dive into food the less I know, but thankfully there's more to learn.

Here's the bulk of a traditional pico courtesy of my Takeda Sasanoha. I think it did another three gallons of red onions, but I didn't take a picture.

What size is that sasanoha? Also, what are some basic pros and cons of this knife that you notice? Im on the edge of buying this knife in 240, but still not sure. Is your version a flatter profile ??
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Mine is the medium version and measures around 220mm, a little oversized. It is pretty flat, enough to do some serious chopping and it's an ideal push cutter.

As for pros... everything? It's incredible. Edge retention, excellent. Sharpenability, excellent. Construction, excellent. Food separation, excellent. Release, excellent.

The worst that I think can objectively be said is that I needed to thin it out to get it where I like it. It wasn't too onerous. Subjectively I am sure many people would think it feels too light and thin, though I do not. It has little appreciable taper and isn't really much sturdier at the heel then the tip. The neck could use a little more length, too, to be picky.

To be fair, this knife fits me particularly well. It is one of the three knives I own that would replace if it was lost or damaged. But if you haven't tried a Takeda, you're missing out. They're special.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Lepus wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:55 pm Mine is the medium version and measures around 220mm, a little oversized. It is pretty flat, enough to do some serious chopping and it's an ideal push cutter.

As for pros... everything? It's incredible. Edge retention, excellent. Sharpenability, excellent. Construction, excellent. Food separation, excellent. Release, excellent.

The worst that I think can objectively be said is that I needed to thin it out to get it where I like it. It wasn't too onerous. Subjectively I am sure many people would think it feels too light and thin, though I do not. It has little appreciable taper and isn't really much sturdier at the heel then the tip. The neck could use a little more length, too, to be picky.

To be fair, this knife fits me particularly well. It is one of the three knives I own that would replace if it was lost or damaged. But if you haven't tried a Takeda, you're missing out. They're special.
+1...though I have the classic profile 210 gyuto. And I will say the food release is beyond excellent
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Konosuke Ginsan and Mazaki yanagiba.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Nice photo and knives.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

I still love this thread and believe it needs a boost in content! :)
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Lepus wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:17 pm Image

Konosuke Ginsan and Mazaki yanagiba.
How r u liking your kono ginsan these days. I remember you saying your shibata kashima had it sitting on the bench. Did you keep yours really steep, thin at the edge. Mine seemed basically or atleast close to a zero grind. Ive kind of kept it really thin, and lately been keeping it at the house away from the poly boards.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I specifically broke it out because the Shibata has stolen its thunder. It honestly isn't seeing much use; I would consider letting it go.

It has been sparingly sharpened and is still quite thin. Probably 12 degrees per side. I haven't touched the blade road yet.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Lepus wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:07 pm I specifically broke it out because the Shibata has stolen its thunder. It honestly isn't seeing much use; I would consider letting it go.

It has been sparingly sharpened and is still quite thin. Probably 12 degrees per side. I haven't touched the blade road yet.
Ironically, I haven't been using my shibata much at all. Not to any fault of its own. Ive just been sort of like whatever. Ive been opting more for my kurasaki laser.
timos

Post by timos »

need more of this thread! here is my humble pic from last thanksgiuving :)
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

timos wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:50 am need more of this thread! here is my humble pic from last thanksgiuving :)
Nice! Totally agree!