Koa Damascus gyuto

milkbaby

Koa Damascus gyuto

Post by milkbaby »

I still have to make a saya for this knife, and I still haven't got good pics of it, but I'm bored so posting the best pics I have right now... :lol:

I made this 237 x 47 mm wide bevel gyuto, ladder pattern carbon damascus (billet from Alabama Damascus) with stabilized curly koa and green dyed box elder burl, white G10 and copper hardware, homemade mosaic pin. Ground to zero then sharpened, rounded spine and choil, ergonomic coke bottle shaped handle, blah, blah, blah... all that jazz people say to hype their wares. :D

If you look closely in the second pic, there are flaws in the pattern weld on the right side bevel, so instead of selling it at a discounted price, I'm planning to raffle it off with 100% of the proceeds donated to the local humane society. In my opinion, the flaw is aesthetic, not a problem structurally for a chef's knife (not a good flaw for a sword tho). My pupperino was adopted a few years ago from a pet rescue that merged with the humane society here, so I'm donating as a thank you and hopefully to help other pets that are looking for their furever homes.

I'll repost whenever my slow ass gets around to making the saya, if there's interest in raffle tickets.

The saya will probably be figured black walnut or quilted maple like the examples shown below:

Here's my happy furbaby:

Altadan

Re: Koa Damascus gyuto

Post by Altadan »

Love the shots!

Everything is really beautiful, and blah blah blah, what us nuts tell you makers :)
No, seriously, that's a beautiful knife! And what a great smile on your dog ^_^
I'll happily join a raffle with proceeds going there (not to mention the chance to land this coke-bottle handle!)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Stunning!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

bad ass looking knife and sexy choil shot. id get in on a raffle.
Organic

Post by Organic »

The contrast between that dark Damascus flats and the polished primary grind is just beautiful.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

What a wonderful gesture. Would be happy to contribute to the raffle.

That's one happy fur baby you have there :D