Knives-n'-Cabbages

stalliondawg444

Re: Knives-n'-Cabbages

Post by stalliondawg444 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:40 pm I cut it up and left it on the board. Hopefully, inspiration arrives soon . . .

Kanehide PS60 Gyuto 210mm & Purple Cabbage
Nice shot!
wrathen

Post by wrathen »

love how purple that cabbage is & Kanehide has pretty lines and I like the lighter handle.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

This time with my go-to gyuto,
Tanaka VG10 nashiji vs. cabbage, chorizos, and some good good love (on a bed of rice)
IMG_20200518_165632282 (1).jpg
On a different note, could it possibly be ginsan instead of VG10? I haven't seen this offering anywhere else, but the blade certainly looks like the
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

Yuki making the slaw for a fish fry.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Two enormous purple cabbages met their match . . .

Kurosaki Fujin VG10, 210mm
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nice! Those Fujins are some dandy knives!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:47 pm Nice! Those Fujins are some dandy knives!
Yeah, I'm growing quite fond of this one. I have a couple other Fujins (a VG10 240mm and an AS 210mm) but this is the one I grab most often. Especially on days when I'm in and out of the kitchen frequently over the course of the day, I like that I don't have to be quite as meticulous about cleaning and drying. I find it to be an excellent all-purpose knife for my preferences and typical tasks, and they are absolutely gorgeous, too.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Kono MM Ginsan 240
If my Tanaka VG10 was the the workhorse, this one is the ballerina; graceful, yet full of strength!
Attachments
IMG_20200616_130735858.jpg
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Altadan wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:50 am Kono MM Ginsan 240
If my Tanaka VG10 was the the workhorse, this one is the ballerina; graceful, yet full of strength!
I never thought of Tanaka vg10 as workhorses, but I only tried a 210, Tanaka vg10- once on passaround.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:39 am
I never thought of Tanaka vg10 as workhorses, but I only tried a 210, Tanaka vg10- once on passaround.
Interesting, that's exactly what I have on hand. My use of the term may be off, but 210 feels so sturdy, ready to take a beating, with shoulders that could carry anything from squash and onwards. At 176g for a 210, with what seems to be a light pakka handle....
Well, what would you consider a workhorse? And where would you place a Tanaka VG10?
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Altadan wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:57 pm Well, what would you consider a workhorse? And where would you place a Tanaka VG10?
I'm very interested in this question as well.

And great pic of the MM and the red cabbage.
David
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Altadan wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:57 pm
Interesting, that's exactly what I have on hand. My use of the term may be off, but 210 feels so sturdy, ready to take a beating, with shoulders that could carry anything from squash and onwards. At 176g for a 210, with what seems to be a light pakka handle....
Well, what would you consider a workhorse? And where would you place a Tanaka VG10?
I just thought the vg10 line was thinner more laserish. I only tried one. It was a 210 and it felt light and kind of thin like a light middleweight, borderline, laser. But I don't have alot of experience with that line that was just how I perceived it.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Cutuu wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:24 am

I just thought the vg10 line was thinner more laserish. I only tried one. It was a 210 and it felt light and kind of thin like a light middleweight, borderline, laser. But I don't have alot of experience with that line that was just how I perceived it.
Well Ramon, if you said "middleweight" only, then out of respect to you I'd adapt my own notion of what a workhorse is. Laserish, however, is definitely not applicable IMHO 🙃
Though it's really nicely ground think behind the edge, it gains some significant weight as you move towards the spine😗🤗
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Altadan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:35 pm
Cutuu wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:24 am

Well Ramon, if you said "middleweight" only, then out of respect to you I'd adapt my own notion of what a workhorse is. Laserish, however, is definitely not applicable IMHO 🙃
Though it's really nicely ground think behind the edge, it gains some significant weight as you move towards the spine😗🤗
I only used a Tanaka vg10 once during passaround, chefspences. I thought I had remembered it being middleweight. That's really all I was trying to say. I though the sekisko were a little thicker more workhorses and the vg10 were a little thinner, more of a middleweight. Laserish can be somewhat subjective, especially when you use it as an adjective, rather than, a noun. So maybe I should of left that term out. I just thought I remember it feeling pretty light, but I also don't use 210s as much, so that may of thrown my guage off.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I've been playing more and more with this knife I picked up on the seconds some time ago. It was returned to cktg dueto a bad chip iirc, and was reprofiled as a result and sold for half price.
Sort of a funayuki shape now.
Iwasnt surprised to find it wedge when I was breaking down the cabbage onto quarters, but was certainly surprised how relatively smooth it chopped through those quarters. I suppose it's the grind/shoulder being on the right, while the left blad face is rather flat/smooth
Anyway, here a knife, and a cabbage 😅
Attachments
Yoshimitsu Fugen W#2 180
Yoshimitsu Fugen W#2 180
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

This is the knife from the "thinning down the shoulder" thread right?

Curious what you're thinking after the wedging quartering the cabbage. You still considering removing metal, or are cuts like the easy slicing above making you think you'll leave as is?
David
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

d_rap wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:50 am This is the knife from the "thinning down the shoulder" thread right?

Curious what you're thinking after the wedging quartering the cabbage. You still considering removing metal, or are cuts like the easy slicing above making you think you'll leave as is?
Yeah, no, cuts like these don't make me turn back
I've been meaning to get back to that post(s). Apparently my next door neighbor has a wheel-grinder - an eminently dangerous instrument, especially when coupled with knives - and compounded danger when used by the inexperienced! :P That's me.
So, I'm slowly thinking about the sort of jig that would secure the knife in place, that even in case of slippage... will not be flung either across the fence or directly into my abdomen.

Shaving off some shoulder is stone work. If I brave the grind-wheel it'll be for the concavity that I have in mind ;)
Maybe both
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Cool, I'm eager to jump in on that other thread or PM me because I have some ideas. I just finished a similar project on my buddy's Itto-Ryu gyuto.
David
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Busy weekend 😅
Also, not quite a cabbage, but I just remember that this thread has already had some exceptions, so why not?!

Also, also... I never thought my bread knife would get photographed, but here it is. A Victorinox rosewood handle. Man, that thing has distal taper, flex, and is dangerously sharp!
The flex turned to be ideal for this application 🙃😗🤗😋
LRM_20200617_154947 (1).jpg
Victorinox Forschner 240 wavy bread
Victorinox Forschner 240 wavy bread
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

That is some nice symmetry right there.
David