Knives-n'-Cabbages

Altadan

Re: Knives-n'-Cabbages

Post by Altadan »

Some more cabbage, this time with piquant moroccan style sausages.
IMG_20200901_162831434 (1).jpg
Konosuke MM B#2
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
bruin

Post by bruin »

Fuji vs napa cabbage (also some fennel & fronds, pickled watermelon radish and spicy arugula)
44379553-4D7E-4C9F-8FAC-039A67FDCC70.jpeg
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Very colorful! Someday I have to get a Fuji i think, or is it going to be a Sukenari zdp?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

DEFINITELY a Fuji over a Sukenari zdp. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:43 pm DEFINITELY a Fuji over a Sukenari zdp. ;)
Hahaha. I just bought a Sukenari zdp, Jeff...:). I'll have to let you know what I think once it arrives.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

OOH, Sukenari vs Kono cabbage cutting showdown by Joe? Cant wait for this one!
salemj

Post by salemj »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:06 pm OOH, Sukenari vs Kono cabbage cutting showdown by Joe? Cant wait for this one!
Haha. Thanks. I have very, very high expectations for the sukenari and debated buying one for many years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a semi-secret gem of a knife. I'm not sure it will win out on cabbage, but I do think it may very well win out on a number of other julienne and matchstick cuts when compared to the often sticky konosuke fujiyamas. In fact, this is precisely where my Ginsan MM excels, and I am hoping the Sukenari is a lot like that knife. Plus: stainless, anyone???

It may be a while, though...package is coming a circuitous route to Canada.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

salemj wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:50 pm
Jeff B wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:43 pm DEFINITELY a Fuji over a Sukenari zdp. ;)
Hahaha. I just bought a Sukenari zdp, Jeff...:). I'll have to let you know what I think once it arrives.
The Sukenari is a good knife no doubts, but for everyday use give me a Fuji. But hey, nothing wrong with variety, it's not like I only own one knife! I hope it's everything you hope it is. :ugeek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

salemj wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:07 pm ...but I do think it may very well win out on a number of other julienne and matchstick cuts when compared to the often sticky konosuke fujiyamas. In fact, this is precisely where my Ginsan MM excels, and I am hoping the Sukenari is a lot like that knife. Plus: stainless, anyone???

YESSS
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Coleslaw coming! I just can't get enough of this nimble beast . . .

Cabbage & Kohetsu Addict Gyuto, Blue #2, 240mm
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:51 pm Coleslaw coming! I just can't get enough of this nimble beast . . .

Cabbage & Kohetsu Addict Gyuto, Blue #2, 240mm
Bet you could make some Kimchi too! Just get the Chinese (Napa) cabbage.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I think I'm falling in love
And not for the first time... :oops: :lol:
~
click to enlarge<br />Daovua small cleaver
click to enlarge
Daovua small cleaver
~
It's not that she cuts better, or smoother, or more nimbly than any other I've tried before, but... just to have all that height, ON TOP of its great performance... I'm all but trying not to gush!
ronnie_suburban

Altadan wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:26 am It's not that she cuts better, or smoother, or more nimbly than any other I've tried before, but... just to have all that height, ON TOP of its great performance... I'm all but trying not to gush!
Interesting. It sure looks like fun. Clearly, life is a case of too many knives, not enough hands. :lol:

Speaking of fun, I'd used this Kohetsu HAP40 gyuto a few times last week and was ready to put it away for a while but before that, I sharpened it. After that, I couldn't believe how fun it was to use, like having a brand new knife all over again . . . and it was time for our regular batch of coleslaw . . .

Green Cabbage & Kohetsu HAP40 Gyuto, 210mm
Getting ready for coleslaw. I like to salt the cabbage before "slawing" it, to help draw out excess moisture and soften the cabbage just a bit. After some experimentation, the magic number seems to be 1.5% salt, by weight. I let it sit for a few hours, occasionally squeezing down the cabbage and pouring off the liquid that forms. This was 930g of cabbage, so I added about 14g of kosher salt.

Dressing Mise En Place
Celery seed, mayo #1*, yellow mustard, black pepper, mayo #2, tupelo honey, apple cider vinegars and grated sweet onion. Obviously, there's no need for any additional salt, since the cabbage has already been sprinkled with it. As for mayo #1*, I use just a bit. I inadvertently ended up with this jar at the beginning of the pandemic and I don't really like it as mayo but it works nicely as a 'condiment' in coleslaw. It's kind of like a fussy version of Miracle Whip. After making dozens of batches of slaw over the past 8+ months, it's finally just about gone. :D There are no set proportions here, just mix a bunch of these items together until it tastes decent, then refrigerate it until the cabbage is done draining.

Ready To Mix
Salted, drained cabbage & shaved carrot, dressing.

Plated Up
A batch this size will last us anywhere from 7-14 days, depending on who's in the mood for it and how often. It's definitely become a staple for us over the past 8+ months.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:31 pm ...There are no set proportions here, just mix a bunch of these items together until it tastes decent...
That's the same measurements I go by when making slaw...and a lot of other things. :ugeek:
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:48 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:31 pm ...There are no set proportions here, just mix a bunch of these items together until it tastes decent...
That's the same measurements I go by when making slaw...and a lot of other things. :ugeek:
I gave up asking my mom for recipes, cause she'd always say, "Well, some of this, a bit of that, oh add some of this, if you like it, then bake it/roast it/cook it, till it's done." Anything for bread recipes has listed under flour, "enough".
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

XexoX wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:10 pm
Jeff B wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:48 pm
I gave up asking my mom for recipes, cause she'd always say, "Well, some of this, a bit of that, oh add some of this, if you like it, then bake it/roast it/cook it, till it's done." Anything for bread recipes has listed under flour, "enough".
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Back at it with the weekly slaw and a joyous knife I haven't used in a while . . .

Green Cabbage & Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 Gyuto, 240mm
Like a hot knife through butter . . . erm, you know what I mean. :lol:

I salted it and am letting it drain. I've been squeezing it and pouring off the excess about every 2 hours. Before bed, I'll add the dressing, which I made earlier, and is now waiting in the fridge.
=R=
MajorMajor

Post by MajorMajor »

Ronnie, I absolutely love that knife. Don't use cabbage that much but I know it took care of bidness
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

I agree. That photo provokes a FM B#2 itch that I'm increasingly sure will one day have to be scratched. Not now, but one day...
ronnie_suburban

MajorMajor wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:07 pm Ronnie, I absolutely love that knife. Don't use cabbage that much but I know it took care of bidness
Chappychap wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:09 pm I agree. That photo provokes a FM B#2 itch that I'm increasingly sure will one day have to be scratched. Not now, but one day...
Thanks. It's a pleasure to use. I actually bought it used, in the Classifieds, here.
=R=